Associate Professor & Web Librarian, University of Alaska Fairbanks [2/2003-Present]
- Provide innovative ideas and technological solutions for Rasmuson Library patrons and staff.
- Develop, maintain, and evaluate library web applications.
- Configure electronic databases and resources.
- Provide distance & in-person instruction and research assistance to patrons.
- Instruct“Library & Information Research” (LS101), a UAF core curriculum course.
- Work with UAF’s Math, Computer Science, and Art departments to improve upon print and electronic collections in respective subject areas.
- Serve on various library and university committees.
Software Engineer, IBM (WebSphere) [6/2001-5/2003]
Technical Writing and Information Management
- Developed and implemented a plan to convert existing documents and
author new documents in SGML and XML.
- Successfully advocated use of subject metadata within documentation.
- Collaborate with cross product teams and developers to improve consistency
across IBM products and documentation.
- Work with information documentation team to develop customized end-user
navigation for browser-based help systems.
- Develop indexes, glossaries, and documentation for browser-based help
- Assist the User Interface team with selection of buttons and terminology.
Adjunct Faculty, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill,
NC [7/1998 - Present]
Clinical Instructor for the School of Information and Library Science.
Instruct INLS-50 (Introduction
to Computing), INLS-80 (Data
Communication Networks), and INLS-181 (Internet Applications). Software and skills taught include:
- Microsoft Office 2000 package (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access).
- Internet Protocol, both technical and applicable use of HTTP, FTP,
Telnet, SMTP, SSH.
- Basic Unix skills.
- Server side Web authoring using pico and vi.
- Web authoring using Dreamweaver, FrontPage, ColdFusion, and other
Freelance Indexer and Web Developer, Kingsley Indexing Services, Fairbanks, AK[1995-Present]
- Create back-of-the-book and Web site indexes using Cindex and FrameMaker.
- Developed a DTD especially for indexes.
- Coded in XSL/T to transform XML indexes into XHTML.
- For a listing of indexing projects, see http://indexpup.com/full-list-of-kingsley-indexes/.
Metadata Manager and Web Programmer Specialist, Cisco Systems
[4/2000 - 6/2001]
Brought Web design and information organization expertise to a team of
information specialists and engineers during the redesign of several Web-based
tools and Web sites.
- Led a cross functional team in the analysis of existing knowledge
libraries in order to redesign the system architecture, and improve
content navigation and organization of information.
- Developed a thesaurus used for cataloging documentation.
- Assisted with a company-wide task force to create subject metadata,
DTDs, and implement XML.
- Responsible for instructing new hire training classes for incoming
- Wrote new hire training documentation and multimedia tutorials for
the Technical Assistance Center (TAC) customer service engineers.
- Developed and maintained Cisco's internal Support Library, TAC Web
pages, and internal TAC indexes.
Applications Programmer & Systems Programmer, University of North
Carolina at Chapel Hill, NC
Multimedia Librarian, Indiana State University Library, Terre
Haute, IN [08/1995-05/1997]
- Designed and maintained the library's Web site and Web site policies.
- Assisted with installation and updates of LAN-based CD-ROM products
- Responsible for Web-server administration and troubleshooting.
- Reference duties for a minimum of 7 hours per week.
- Searched electronic databases, including SilverPlatter, Wilsondisc,
Dialog, EBSCOhost, West Law, ProQuest Direct, FirstSearch, and Gale
Group/InfoTrac.· Assisted with creation and maintenance of online
- Bibliographic instruction and curriculum development for classes such
as English 105; Internet Searching & Information Quality; Electronic
- Webmaster for Diversity Information Online (DION).
Adult Reference Librarian (Substitute), Urbana Free Library, Urbana,
- Answered patron queries at reference desk.
- Helped users search online catalogs and systems such as DYNIX, CLSI,
- Cataloged print and non-print media for vertical file.
- Advised readers on book selection.
- Answered patron queries. Helped users search online catalogs and systems
such as DYNIX, CLSI, InfoTrac, and CD-ROM databases.
- Cataloging for vertical file. Advised readers on book selection.
Bookstore Assistant Manager, Waldenbooks, Urbana, IL [1991-1994]
- Responsible for opening and closing store, book selection and ordering,
nightly accounting, and maintenance of store.
- Supervised staff of five.
Economics Librarian, Metropolitan Studies Library, Syracuse, NY
- Cataloged incoming serials.
- Database creation and management of the library's collection.
Kingsley, Ilana and Karen Jensen. “Learning 2.0 at the University of Alaska Rasmuson Library.” E-JASL: The Electronic Journal of Academic and Special Librarianship 10.2(2009).
Kingsley, Ilana. "The Usability of Academic Library Website Indexes: An Investigation." The Indexer 26.2(2008): 71-78
Kingsley, Ilana, and Mark Morlino. “Rasmuson Library DVD Browser: Fun with Screen Scraping and Drupal.” Code4Lib Journal 5(2008).
Kingsley, Ilana. (1997). "Survey Research for Web Page Redesign: Clickable
Buttons and Menu Navigation." Proceedings of the 12th Annual Computers
in Libraries '97 Conference. Arlington, VA. March 10-12.
Contributor. (1997). Microsoft Press Computer Dictionary, Fourth Edition. Microsoft Press.
Kingsley, Ilana & Fesenmaier, Daniel R. (1995). "Travel information kiosks
: an emerging communications channel for the tourism industry." Journal
of Travel & Tourism Marketing Vol 4(1): pp. 57-70.
Eisenberg, Michael B. and Kathleen L. Spitzer, Ilana Kingsley, Christine
Darby. (1990). "Trends and Issues in Library Science and Technology." ERIC Clearinghouse.